There are many benefits to using solar power at home. Among them are the long term financial benefits in terms of energy savings and home valuation (houses with solar power installations are increasing in market value), low maintenance required, long operational life of most solar power systems, partial or complete independence from power grids, efficient energy conservation, and preservation of the environment.
However, like in the case of other alternative energy sources, harnessing solar energy for home use has a number of disadvantages that should be considered.
Methods To Harness Solar Energy
There are three approaches by which solar energy may be harnessed for home use: passive solar power (does not require any power-generating installations but uses architectural creativity to maximize the benefits of sunlight); thermal solar power (maximizes the sun’s heat energy through the installation of practical, affordable, and eco-friendly solar-powered water heating systems); and solar power panels (requires the installation of photovoltaic cells, batteries, and other components in order to convert light energy to DC energy).
While providing strong benefits, the first two approaches generally have negligible or no disadvantages at all. The third, however, has a number of disadvantages worth studying before fully committing to a solar-powered lifestyle.
Disadvantage Of Solar Panel
The primary disadvantage of solar power panels is the relatively high installation cost. Some contractors and resource providers offer specific solutions to reduce costs, but even then the current prices of key installation components are still prohibitive.
However, this issue is being addressed industry-wide, given the promise of, as well as the pressing need for, this particular alternative energy source. There are already reported advances towards increasing the energy generating efficiency of systems, as well as significant drops in the price of some raw materials.
In addition, initiatives by many governments around the world provide subsidy programs and tax incentives for people and businesses that are strongly adopting solar power. These developments are expected to continue driving the cost of solar power systems downward.
The limited number of feasible locations for an efficient solar power system is also a disadvantage. While most places on the planet are reached by sunlight, there are places where harnessing sunlight may be too costly or inefficient to completely provide the energy requirements of the location.
Places that are cloudy and rainy most of the year will significantly limit the energy-generating capacity of solar power panels. Tree-lined or highly urbanized locations with high structures may also affect the sunlight gathering capacity of solar cells.
Meanwhile, solar panels also require a large area to be properly installed and efficiently operated. Roof structure and direction also affect the efficiency of a solar panel installation. Any attempt at installation should also take into consideration the possibility of roof repairs and that solar panels should easily be removed and reinstalled at need.
Because solar panels are big and unwieldy, they can sometimes be aesthetically offensive. This is especially true of older installations that may be considered eyesores in the surrounding landscape. Some roofs also have more adaptable material and design for solar panel installation than others.
When much investment has already been put into a beautiful roof by homeowners, installing a solar panel array usually creates a dilemma. Many green designers and architects have been addressing this issue and there are now a growing number of aesthetically pleasing homes that are powered by the sun.
While the primary appeal of solar panels is its strong benefits to the environment, solar power systems also pose environmental risks of their own. Solar power systems generally use lead, sulphuric acid and cadmium in their components.
These substances may seriously harm the environment if not disposed of properly. Cadmium, in particular, poses serious health risks, including cancer.
All these disadvantages are closely monitored by the solar energy sector, and new solutions—such as the use of alternative raw materials—are being proposed to make solar energy a viable and comprehensive source of power for everyone on the planet.
Check Out What Others Are Reading:
👉 Equipment User Guide
- What Are The Differences Between Regular And Solar Optimized Homes? Advantages Of Passive Solar Design 2021– Building For The Future
- The Best Home Solar Panel For Beginners 2021: Solar Energy Basics 101 Easy To Install And Operate
- Roofing Contractors Turn To “Green” Roofing: All You Need To Know About Making The Right Decisions For Your Roof 2021
👉 Solar Panels
- How To Clean Solar Lights And Panels? The Guide To Get The Best Output By Keeping All Equipment Spanking Clean 2021
- New Material In Solar Panels 2021: Use Affordable Alternative Power Cost-Effectively
- 4 Ways To Get Inexpensive Solar Panels 2021: Get New Home Solar Power Source For The Best Price Possible
👉 Solar Heaters
- How Residential Solar Hot Water Heaters Work? The Equipment And Set Up You Will Need For Effective Use 2021
- Examples Of DIY Solar Panels For Heating Up Pools: Set Up, Benefits, Power Calculations And Points To Note When Installing 2021
- GE Electric Heat Pump Water Heater Review: The Ultimate Guide On Using And Its Various Setting 2021
👉 Solar Powered Gadgets And Equipment
- Solar Panel Review For Shed | Roof | Boat | RV
- Best Portable Solar Phone USB Charger: Suntactics sCharger 5 Review 2021
- Unique Solar Energy Power Themed Gifts For Science Nerds & Sustainability Lovers 2021
👉 Solar Power Efficiency And Budget Plans
- Advantages Of Solar Power At home 2021: 5 Reasons To Get Solar Power System At Your Residential Home – Way To The Future
- How To Eliminate 100% Of Your Water Heating Costs By Using Solar? Save Money And Reduce Water Consumption 2021
- Why We Make Bad Finance & Energy Consumption Decisions? Avoid Convenient But Badly Damaging Choices 2021
👉 Sustainability And Climate Efforts
- Can Air Conditioners Be Green? Sustainably Redesigned Solutions Against Global Warming Explained 2021
- Consensus And Anthropogenic Global Warming 2021: Humans Should Take Responsibility For Centuries Of Earth Damaging Activities
- Reasons Why You Should Deep Cycle Batteries For Solar Panels – Going Green To Save Green 2021
👉 Product Reviews
- Evergreen Solar Panels For Your Home: Models To Choose From 2021
- Sustainable Alternative Energy Gadgets To Add To Your Everyday Life 2021
- Guide To Starter Kits For Solar Power Home Use 2021: Road To Energy Self-sufficiency
👉 Solar Power DIY Kits
- Frostfire 16 Bright LED Wireless Solar Powered Motion Sensor Light Review 2021: For The DIY Enthusiasts
- How To Build A Solar Power Unit For Home? Step-By-Step Guide To Build Your Own With Ease 2021
- Free Solar DIY Experiment Kit For Kids – Develop STEM Concepts With Renewable Energy Sources Early
👉 Certifications For Solar Power