Making your home more energy efficient leads to long-term savings. Insulation, a new energy-efficient boiler and double-glazing helps to lower your household bills and even contributes to a reduction in your carbon footprint.
However, these measures aren’t free. Although there are a limited number of government subsidies available, costs for installing 270mm of insulation can run into the hundreds. Double-glazing is costly too and a new boiler can set you back a couple of grand.
For families on a tight budget, making their homes more energy efficient is rather costly and not doable without some outside help. That outside help could come in the form of a new mortgage plan, or remortgage.
For an idea of how much you may be able to save by remortgaging check out mortgage payment calculator. You simply enter your details and out pops a figure; it’s really that simple to use the mortgage payment calculator.
Once you have an idea on how much you could expect to save with a new mortgage you know how much you have to spend on making a few energy efficiency changes to your home.
£100-£1000 To Spend
Heat rises so most heat is lost through your loft and roof. The easiest way to minimize heat loss is to install more insulation. The Energy Saving Trust recommends 270mm of insulation. Many houses in the UK only have around 100mm of insulation and some don’t have any insulation at all.
By upgrading your level of insulation you can save up to £175 per year. If you install insulation yourself you’ll just pay for the fibre-glass insulation, but if you seek the services of a professional you could pay up to £350.
Cavity wall insulation installation also costs between £100 and £350. Annual savings are around £135, so it’ll pay for itself in less than three years. Together you’re looking at a combined cost of a around £700 max.
>>> Read Next >>>
£2,000-£3,000 To Spend
According to the Energy Saving Trust, it cost around £2,300 to replace an old gas boiler and upgrade it for a new A-rated version. Once the boiler is in however, you can save between £105 and £300 per year on your energy bills.
>>> Read Next >>>
£3,000+ To Spend
Replacing old, single-glazed windows in your home is costly it costs around £7,000 to replace all the windows in a typical British terrace so despite saving £165 per year on energy costs, this will take a long time to pay for itself.
However, there are other benefits. Your home will be warmer, less draughty, quieter and more attractive. Find out more about the benefits of installing double-glazing on the Energy Saving Trust’s website.
Check Out What Others Are Reading:
👉 Equipment User Guide
- Solar-Powered Garage Doors: Advances In Solar Cell Technology That Transformed The Way We Use Solar Power 2021
- Solar Power Basics 101: The Benefits Of Harnessing Energy Of The Sun And Set Up Equipment 2021
- How To Make Your Own Solar Power For The Home To Save Money And Protect The Planet: Benefits Of Installing Solar Panels Of Your Own 2021
👉 Solar Panels
- 30+ Most Frequently Asked Questions About Solar Energy System 2021: All You Need To Know About Solar Power As energy Source At Home – The Precautions And Myths
- Looking For Solar Panels At A Low Price? Benefits Of Quality Second Hand Solar Panels For Home Use And Points You Should Consider 2021
- The Best Home Solar Panel For Beginners 2021: Solar Energy Basics 101 Easy To Install And Operate
👉 Solar Heaters
- How To Use Coroplast To Heat The Water Of The Pool? All You need To Know About Solar Heating Principle 101: Piping Plans And Set Up 2021
- 30+ Most Frequently Asked Questions About Solar Hot Water Heaters: Everything You Need To Know About Your Residential Solar Powered Water Heater 2021
- Why Solar Hot Water Heater? Top Tips On Saving Money On Heating And Efficient Use Of Energy 2021
👉 Solar Powered Gadgets And Equipment
- Solar-Powered Picnic Tables Pop Up On Campuses 2021: Make Schools A Green Sustainable Place With Self-Sufficient Electricity For Chargers
- Hybrid Cars Or Electric Cars: Which One Is Better For You? Comparison Of Vehicle Power Source At A Glance 2021
- How Does Solar Energy Came About And The Science Behind 2021: Recharge Batteries With Solar Energy And Never Be Without Power Again!
👉 Solar Power Efficiency And Budget Plans
- California Solar Incentive – Utility Solar Rebate Programs For More Solar Power Facilities And Users 2021
- Is Alternative Energy A Practical Option For Your Home? – Solar Power And The Promise Of Low-Cost Energy
- What Are The Differences Between Regular And Solar Optimized Homes? Advantages Of Passive Solar Design 2021– Building For The Future
👉 Sustainability And Climate Efforts
- Resource Conservation 2021: Why Bother? Do It For The Next Generation, For Others, And For A Better Environment
- The Future Of Energy – Top 5 Alternative Sources Of Energy That You Should Know By Now 2021
- A Long Way To Go For Biofuels To Take Off – Why Biofuels Cannot Hit The Market Yet 2021
👉 Product Reviews
- Unique Solar Energy Power Themed Gifts For Science Nerds & Sustainability Lovers 2021
- Top Energy Efficient Solar Water Heaters Reviewed: Approved Manufacturers For Your Home 2021
- Solar Panel Review For Shed | Roof | Boat | RV
👉 Solar Power DIY Kits
- How To Build A Solar Power Unit For Home? Step-By-Step Guide To Build Your Own With Ease 2021
- Solar Power For Homes: Useful Resources Links 2021
- Free Solar DIY Experiment Kit For Kids – Develop STEM Concepts With Renewable Energy Sources Early
👉 Certifications For Solar Power