A black surface exposed to the sun transforms the sun rays into heat equivalent to about 1000 watts per square meter (see Basic Theory for detailed information).
Simply apply this principle to heat the water of a swimming pool. In order to do this, we expose the black plastic panels installed outdoor to direct sunlight in which the swimming poll water is running.
The black surface catches up the solar energy and transforms it into heat which is transferred (passed on) to the swimming pool water. Therefore the swimming pool is self heated.
The cold water from the swimming pool is pumped towards the panels, heated then runned back to the swimming pool. This ongoing cycle brings the water to the desired temperature. The water runs through the panels using the filter water pump.
As for the solar panels, we suggest using a ribbed corogated plastic black sheet called Coroplast. This Coroplast is a chemically inert weather-resistant material. It is abrasion and UV resistant and also lightweight.
This material is among others much used in the artistic industries as for publicity panels. It is readily available at your local hardware dealers and is available in thicknesses ranging of 4mm, 6mm and 10mm.
>>> Read Next >>>
Each panel that you build is 4 feet(122cm) by 8 feet(244cm) with a 32 square foot (or 3 square meters) surface. It has 3500 watts (11943 btu/h) heating power. Your solar water heater will be made of several of these panels jointed together to have great healing power in order to heat your pool as fast as possible.
>>> Read Next >>>
Many tests were run on black coroplast panels to establish the water heating efficiency for a swimming pool. The main objective was to calculate the maximum power produced by a single black coroplast panel of 4 feet by 8 feet by monitoring the changes in temperatures between the inlet and the outlet while the system was running.
>>> Read Next >>>
Solar Panel Used For The Test
We monitored the water temperature between the inlet (T1) and the water outlet (T2) using a high-precision thermometer. Water flow was also carefully monitored during the tests.
Using an equation, we easily found the power developed by the panel in Watts or BTU. Results were astonishing. The tested solar panel has reached up to 3500 watts (11943 BTU/h).
In fact, we could say that this single coroplast panel of 4 feet by 8 feet has heated the pool water as if we had used a 3500 watts electrical element, the equivalent of conventional water tank heater or 35 electric bulbs of 100 watts each!
Your solar water heater will be made of several of these panels jointed together supplying a very powerful heating capacity. The second series of tests consisted of linking 4 solar panels to a pool 24 feet round in diameter and determining the elevation of temperature. The 4 solar panels used were constructed.
The result was again surprising. Indeed, the 4 solar panels have produced up to 14,000 Watts (14 kilo watts) of heat energy when the sun was at its strongest.
We therefore compared the water temperature of 2 identical 24-foot diameter pools. One was equipped with no heating while the other was equipped with 4 coroplast panels. After a day, the temperature of the pool with 4 solar panels was above 10 degrees Fahrenheit!
As you can see, it is possible to get very high water heating power by joining together many solar panels between them. Imagine the speed at which your swimming pool could heat up!
>>> Read Next >>>
The tables below show the power developed by a solar panel of 4 feet by 8 feet made of coroplast under different flow. Note that the aim was not to determine the increase in temperature of a swimming pool but only the power of this type of solar panel. To learn more about how to calculate the power, see the “Basic Theory”
Check Out What Others Are Reading:
👉 Equipment User Guide
- 22 Things To Do Around Your Survivalist Homestead When It’s Cloudy And You Don’t Have Enough Solar Power To Surf The Internet
- How Residential Solar Hot Water Heaters Work? The Equipment And Set Up You Will Need For Effective Use 2021
- Guide To Starter Kits For Solar Power Home Use 2021: Road To Energy Self-sufficiency
👉 Solar Panels
- Sunpower Residential Solar Panels Review: Get The Best Model For Your Home 2021
- 4 Ways To Get Inexpensive Solar Panels 2021: Get New Home Solar Power Source For The Best Price Possible
- New Material In Solar Panels 2021: Use Affordable Alternative Power Cost-Effectively
👉 Solar Heaters
- 30+ Most Frequently Asked Questions About Solar Hot Water Heaters: Everything You Need To Know About Your Residential Solar Powered Water Heater 2021
- GE Electric Heat Pump Water Heater Review: The Ultimate Guide On Using And Its Various Setting 2021
- Solar Heating Systems For Pools Using Pipes Over Roof Should Be Avoided 2021 Here’s Why
👉 Solar Powered Gadgets And Equipment
- Hybrid Cars Or Electric Cars: Which One Is Better For You? Comparison Of Vehicle Power Source At A Glance 2021
- A Sunny Proposition: Top 3 Considerations To Think Over Before Going Solar At Home 2021
- Which Is Better For Your Household Electricity Generation: Wind Turbines Or Solar Panels? Wind And Solar Power For Home Use Compared 2021
👉 Solar Power Efficiency And Budget Plans
- How To Save Money With Solar Power At Home? Federal Subsidies And Rebates 2021
- How To Slash Energy Bills Through Creating Electricity? 2021
- Should Solar Power Be The National Home Heating Standard Method? – Solar Energy’s Rapid Rise To Popularity 2021
👉 Sustainability And Climate Efforts
- Renewable Energy Solutions 2021: Fighting Against World Energy Crisis And Climate Change – Solar Power Solutions at Home
- How We Can Change Our Old Behaviour To Save The Earth 2021: The Human Race Is Killing The Planet – Immediate Actions Must Be Called For
- Rational Way To Fight Big Energy Companies & Climbing Energy Bills 2021
👉 Product Reviews
- Do Solar Powered Attic Fans Really Work? Top 3 Fan Model Reviewed 2021
- All You Need To Know About Solar Cars: The Future Of Solar Battery Market And The Automobile Industry 2021
- Solar Panel Review For Shed | Roof | Boat | RV
👉 Solar Power DIY Kits
- Free Solar DIY Experiment Kit For Kids – Develop STEM Concepts With Renewable Energy Sources Early
- Reasons Why You Should DIY Solar Power For Home Use 2021: Unlimited Potential And Environmental-Friendly
- Examples Of DIY Solar Panels For Heating Up Pools: Set Up, Benefits, Power Calculations And Points To Note When Installing 2021
👉 Certifications For Solar Power